Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ron Jarzombek speaks




Prog-Sphere.com has posted an extensive interview with acclaimed guitarist Ron Jarzombek (WATCHTOWER, BLOTTED SCIENCE, SPASTIC INK). In it, Jarzombek talks about everything from his early days with S.A. SLAYER, also featuring current MACHINE HEAD drummer Dave McClain, to his feelings on jazz music, and the upcoming BLOTTED SCIENCE EP which will be the group's first recording with new drummer Hannes Grossmann (OBSCURA, ex-NECROPHAGIST).

On S.A. SLAYER: "We used to play around Texas with WatchTower and Helstar quite a bit. It was more of a straight ahead metal kind of thing. I wore black spandex and a leather vest (which was actually made out of vinyl - LOL) and I always felt a bit out of place, but went along with it because it was a cool gig. The other guys in the band were listening to Motorhead and Iron Maiden while I was into Rush. It all was working pretty well until Don (Van Stavern) and Dave (McClain) decided that they wanted to form a band with Mark Reale from Riot, which fell apart almost as soon as it started. S.A. Slayer was then over and I was I in WatchTower shortly after, which was just fine with me, although I had a bitch of a time trying to fill Billy (White)’s shoes."

On jazz: "Sometimes my music is described as jazz, which I do not hear at all. I’m not a fan of jazz and actually whenever I try to work with heavily influenced jazz guys, I have problems. If a musician isn’t grounded in rock or metal and they have a bunch of jazz wanker guys listed as their influences, a bright red flag goes up for me. Don’t get me wrong, I totally respect and admire players like Larry Carlton, Allan Holdsworth, Al DiMeola, Frank Gambale, etc. but I don’t want to write/play with drummers and bass players who don’t have clue what they are supposed to be playing in a rock/metal context. Figure out all your widdling going-nowhere-crap on your own time, then when you figure out what you’re going to play, THEN hit the record button."

On BLOTTED SCIENCE: "We incorporated the 'Circle Of 12 Tones' writing system that Alex and I we are still using, and actually have a pretty interesting thing going. On the upcoming EP we have a VERY cool concept of what we are writing music to, and to be quite honest I don’t think any band has done it before. I’ve dabbled in it before with Spastic Ink, but this is EXTREME! and I’m sure this will knock people’s socks off. It’s a little too involved to do a whole album, so we’re going to see how all goes with this EP."

The full interview can be viewed at http://www.prog-sphere.com/2010/10/04/ron-jarzombek-the-one-who-sets-the-difference/


For more info visit: www.ronjarzombek.com

No comments: